Bird & Sunrise photo

Bird & Sunrise photo
Because "someday" is today!

Monday, October 27, 2014

Watercolor Versus Oil

Baby seal from the Kaikoura coast, New Zealand.  Small oil painting by Tina M Welter "On the Rocks" 7"x 5" oil on Gessobord ©2014
"On the Rocks" 7"x 5" oil on gessobord © 2014
Watercolor versus oil paint.  Sometimes it's a challenge to decide which medium I want to use to paint a subject.  After painting so much with oils, it was a nice break to try the last three paintings in watercolor.  I was curious to see if the watercolor would be faster.  The result, the watercolor of this same seal and rocks was faster.  My "Farewell" seal took five and a half hours, this same baby seal in oils took me almost three times longer, a total of sixteen hours!  I was really surprised.  I have had other watercolor paintings take almost as long as an oil painting of the same size and subject.  I think I must have been "in the zone" with that first seal painting.

The next question is, which one do you like better? (Scroll down three posts to see the "Farewell" seal)  Team watercolor or team oil?  I like both of them for different reasons, but I do feel like my seal in the oil looks better to me.  What is your vote?  If you were buying one of them, which one would you choose? 

1 comment:

The Artist's Life Experiment said...

Based on this question, "watercolor vs. oil" posed on my facebook page, the overwhelming vote was for watercolor. I found this very interesting and has given me some thoughts about my next direction in my painting. Thanks to all of you who participated!