Bird & Sunrise photo

Bird & Sunrise photo
Because "someday" is today!

Saturday, February 27, 2016

The Story of the Orchids


Dresden Window 3, 3x4 digtal art, ©2016 Tina M. Welter  Pantone pink Quartz orchids with Serenity blue background
Dresden Window 3

Back in the fall of 2011, one of the several mysterious things we found in the apartment we rented our first month in Munich was a thirsty little potted plant with large green oval leaves. I wasn't sure what it was, but missing all the plants I had recently I given away, I was happy to water it and make certain it got some sunshine everyday. We knew that the girl who had rented the apartment before us had left in a hurry, not bothering to clean up at all and apparently abandoning this little plant to it's fate. You can see it on the windowsill on the right.
Würzerstrasse apt., Munich 2011, photo ©2011 Tina M. Welter, bedroom and living room
Würzerstrasse apt., Munich 2011
The mystery of what kind of plant it was cleared up quickly when we started walking around the neighborhood and I noticed similar ones on several window sills. The difference being that many of those oval-leaved plants had beautiful blooms of white, pink, lavender and yellow. An orchid! I had always wanted to try growing an orchid, but I never expected to find them in Germany of all places, and in abundance too. When we went to the grocery store, we found them available to buy in every size and color. 

As I cared for the little orchid, I was delighted when it started to send out new flowering shoots, I felt quite guilty when I also had to leave it behind when we moved! I hoped that the new apartment owners would think it worth caring for since it was growing and healthy now.
White orchid in window, detail, photo ©2015 Tina M. Welter  Dresden apartments

Fast forward to August 2015. We were in Germany again, living in the city of Dresden this time and hoping to find work as English as a Second Language (ESL) teachers. Another window full of orchids in our neighborhood got my attention and I made certain to take more pictures this time.
White orchids in Dresden, vertical photo ©2015 Tina M. Welter
White orchids in Dresden

Entrance to Öderaner Strasse, photo ©2015 Tina M. Welter  Unrestored corner building with graffiti
Entrance to Öderaner Strasse
The neighborhood we were living in was in a section of town that had been a thriving community in the 1900's but had been bombed extensively in 1945. Now these classic buildings were being rediscovered for their desirable location close to downtown and getting a second life as they were being updated to modern apartments. Compare the graffiti covered building above at the entrance of Öderaner Street that hasn't been restored yet, to this building on the far end of the same street.
Restored, Örderaner Strasse, photo ©2015  Tina M. Welter  Architecture restoration in Dresden
Restored apartment building, Örderaner Strasse
The work crews were busy fixing it up and there was a huge billboard nearby advertising the renovated apartments to rent.
Abrupt ending, photo ©2015 Tina M. Welter  Bombing buildings restored in Dresden
Abrupt ending
This abrupt end of the building is where a bomb went right through the original apartment complex.


Lovely restored corner building apartments, Saxoniastrasse, photo ©2015 Tina M. Welter
Lovely corner building, Saxoniastrasse
More apartments on Saxoniastrasse, the street we were living on that intersected with Öderaner. You can see the banner signs advertising the new apartments in this building.
White and Pink Orchids, photo ©2015 Tina M. Welter,  Windowsills of Dresden

There is something about those orchids that has been sticking in my mind since we came back to the USA. First of all, I think they would make some beautiful oil paintings when I get a chance to set up and paint with oils again. With the transient life we have been living, so far seven different places in four months, plus having my computer die with all my original photo resources unavailable, it's been a challenge. 

White Orchids, horizontal photo ©2015 Tina M. Welter  Windowsills of Dresden
                                                          
Second, the orchids are connected in my mind with Germany, especially Dresden. A beautifully unique city that was mostly destroyed in 1945, and yet the people who survived were so determined to move forward, they pulled bricks from the rubble and started to build again. The re-birth of that city is an inspiration to me, like the little abandoned orchid setting out new growth. We have also been essentially starting over, no house to return to, no hoped for job offer, dealing with all the things that didn't work-out how we planned, trying to find our new direction to grow in. I admit, it's been a serious struggle for me not to focus on feeling discouraged and frustrated. We are so grateful for the friends and family who have provided places for us to stay, giving us their bit of "water and sunshine" to keep us going. 

White outlines the Pink, 4x6 digital art, ©2016 Tina M. Welter   Orchid artwork
Sketch, minimalist style
In January, I was able to replace my computer that died in December, I decided instead of painting I would do some sketching and make some digital art.

White Orchids, Pink Outline, 4x3 digital art, ©2016 Tina M. Welter
White orchids with pink outline sketch
 I could at least try out some ideas that could lead to a painting later. I really liked this digital piece, Dresden Window 1.
Dresden Window 1, 4x6 digital art, ©2016 Tina M. Welter  Orchids and background in Pantone Rose Quartz and Serenity Blue
Dresden Window 1

Dresden Window 4
I liked it so much that for February, I created a card based on the original to share. Dresden Window 4 greeting card (click link to go to FineArtAmerica)

Figuring out what I could create and share instead of focusing on what I couldn't really helped my state of mind. Like the little orchid, I could encourage my creative side to keep sending out a few green shoots, even if my situation isn't ideal at the moment.

I definitely recommend this strategy if you are feeling discouraged about what you can accomplish too. Consider the story of the orchids and figure out how to keep making some new green growth, no matter how small. 
Pink Orchid bloom, photo ©2016 Tina M. Welter  Windowsills of Dresden
Bloom where you are transplanted.
 >^-^< Tina

 

1 comment:

RickAndGina said...

Im loving the sketch and the digital. Great pics of your old town!