Bird & Sunrise photo

Bird & Sunrise photo
Because "someday" is today!

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Try and Try Again

First color choices.
First palette color choices for "Mermaid"
I decided to focus on the wonderful sculpture that is everywhere here in Vienna as my next painting subjects. After painting my self-portrait, I realized I could use some time on the human figure. I tend to avoid painting people, but I think it is time I face some of that fear. At least sculptures can sit for you for hours.

My first subject that interested me was a fountain I took a picture of at night. Challenging to paint the human face with the light source coming from beneath it, but I liked the eerie, unusual feeling that I think is appropriate for a mermaid.

Vertical 7" x 5" oil on "Gessobord" copyright 2012 Tina M. Welter
"Mermaid" first try...
My first attempt was pretty good on color and light, but I didn't like the composition. Too much dark, empty space on the bottom of the painting. I realized after I got the basic color in place that I was going to have to start over again. Sigh. I am glad that the second try as a horizontal painting already looks better, even in the grey under-painting stage. Now, if I can keep from getting too "busy" with the background...continued next week.

No comments: