Bird & Sunrise photo

Bird & Sunrise photo
Because "someday" is today!

Sunday, July 13, 2014

Remembering Cairo

7"x 5" watercolor on "Aquabord" copyright  2013 Tina M. Welter
"Cairo" 7"x 5" watercolor on "Aquabord" c. 2013
Several years ago, my niece Amy got this lovely kitten when she was first married and named him "Cairo".    When I first met him, I was impressed by his long-leanness and the distinctively beautiful dark patterns in his fur and around his eyes.  Over the years, Amy would mention that she would love a painting of Cairo and I suggested she try and photograph him relaxing in his favorite places and most important of all, where there was one good light source shining on him, preferably sunlight.

Why sunlight?  For me, it often makes all the difference in being able to see the true colors of what I am trying to paint, plus adds the wonderful shadows and highlights that give the illusion of three dimensions. 

Amy told me she had taken some photos, but being super busy, she didn't send them to me.  The years passed, then last fall I saw on her facebook page that her handsome Cairo had passed away and she had posted one of these photos.  It was perfect.  Cairo was relaxed, in one of his favorite locations, and the sun was lighting him up softly.   It is always hard to lose a favorite pet, and I was glad to be able to do something to comfort my dear niece.   

No comments: