Bird & Sunrise photo

Bird & Sunrise photo
Because "someday" is today!

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Kaikoura Coast Inspiration

"Farewell" 7"x 5" watercolor on 140lb. acid free, cold press paper ©Tina M Welter 2014
"Farewell" 7"x 5" watercolor ©2014
Part of our journey when we were traveling north from Christchurch to catch the ferry at Picton, involved driving along the Kaikoura coast.  It was a grey day, but the steep rocks on one side and the ocean on the other kept it quite interesting visually.

I don't remember if we saw the signs for seals or just saw the people gathered at one of the pull-offs at the side of the road, but we decided to stop and take a look too.  Looking down the steep embankment, we could see and hear mother seals and their pups on the rocks below.  So exciting!  I didn't know if I could get a good picture with a grey day and such a long distance, but I saw this young one looking up at us just before he turned to go down the rocks.

The look in that little seal's eyes captured me!  I knew if the picture was any good at all, I wanted it to be my first painting inspired by New Zealand.  Similar to how the swans captured my attention in Germany.  Since I had been painting so much in watercolor lately, I thought it would be interesting to try a watercolor painting before tried one with my oil paints.

This painting also gets the honor of being the first item I listed in my Etsy shop I just opened on-line.  Setting up an Etsy shop has been a goal for me for at least a year.  Thanks little seal for your inspiration!
Baby seal, Kairkoura coast, ©Tina M Welter
My "farewell" baby seal turns to go.
"Farewell" at my Etsy shop

No comments: