Bird & Sunrise photo

Bird & Sunrise photo
Because "someday" is today!

Saturday, April 30, 2022

A Tale of Two Paintings - Which one would you choose?

 

Comparing two paintings of pink and yellow tulips, ©2022 Tina M.Welter
Loose versus Detailed.
 

I often make color sketches of a subject before I make a final painting.

Comparing sketchbook painting and final painting of pink and yellow tulips. ©2022 Tina M.Welter
Sketchbook and Final Painting.


Overall, I liked how the final painting turned out, but when I was photographing it in hopes of getting it printed as a greeting card, I wasn't quite satisfied. 

I decided to take a good close-up photo of my sketchbook and compare them.

Comparing pink tulip sketch with final painting.©2022 Tina M.Welter
Soft edges versus lovely color variations.

Even though I loved the way I caught the subtle glow of colors on the final painting, I was completely drawn to the sense of flower-like softness in the sketchbook painting.

Comparing pink and yellow tulip painting detail.©2022 Tina M.Welter
Impression versus more Realistic

 I do like the realistic, detailed way I painted the tulip and leaves but I have been bothered for awhile with a sense of stiffness that I don't like in my paintings. 

Comparing paintings of pink and yellow tulips.©2022 Tina M.Welter
Great brushstrokes versus accurate tulip shapes.

  I've struggled with finding a way to address this problem and now perhaps these tiny paintings have given me a road map to get me going in the right direction.

The question will be if I can learn to let go of painting some of those wonderful details in a larger format! I dearly love painting the details.


So, which one did you like best? I did choose one to be printed and will let you know how it turned out.


Happy Creating!

>^-^<

Tina

1 comment:

Yvonne said...

I’m a realist - I like the detailed one better but can see the reason some would choose the softer details. Thanks for sharing!