Bird & Sunrise photo

Bird & Sunrise photo
Because "someday" is today!

Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Focusing on Green - Steps for Dealing with Emotional Overwhelm.


Painting sketch of light through green leaves. ©2022 Tina M.Welter
Spring Green mini sketch.

I only have a very small garden space, but it is a much loved oasis of calm for me.
 

Sunlight through iris leaves, photo©2022 Tina M.Welter
Iris

 Artists often have the ability of being very empathetic people which is a great gift to have, but the downside of being an empathetic person is that it is hard not to take in the suffering of others in such a way that you can't function yourself.

Close up of a stripey nasturtium leaf. Photo©2022 Tina M.Welter
Nasturtium

Knowing this about myself, I already try to limit social media and news time, but sometimes even with those limitations I still find myself absorbing and getting emotionally wrapped up in the loss and pain going on in the world.

 

Glowing sunset light through Gaillardia leaves. Photo©2022 Tina M.Welter
Gaillardia - Blanket Flower

 I'm used to feeling sad about things I can't control, but after several awful events these last couple of weeks I was finding it extra difficult. I felt so overwhelmed, angry and powerless that those emotions were consuming my thoughts day and night.

 

Sunset light through strawberry leaves. Photo ©2022 Tina M.Welter
Strawberry

 

 I realize it seems illogical and a waste of energy to feel so bad when I'm not being directly hurt myself, so it was actually a relief when I happened to see a recent article from the Los Angeles Times that addressed this issue.

Here is the actual list I wrote down for myself after reading what the featured therapists had to say.

  1. Pay attention to physical and emotional warning signs that you need to take a break.  Notice sensations of outrage, terror, overwhelm, despondency or numbness. 
  2. You must stop and process these feelings. Don't flood yourself with new images and coverage.
  3. Digest the stressful build up of these emotions by any type of healthy movement, writing, talking to people you trust. (For me, a good solid cry also helps.)
  4. Take action in positive ways that are within your reach.
  5. Do something kind and good where you are.
  6. Start small. 

 Since now I know I am not the only person that may be struggling, I decided that sharing what I learned along with featuring some photos from my little green oasis would be one small positive thing I could do.

Sketchbook, sunlight through leaves.©2022 Tina M.Welter
My Sketchbook

When I feel distressed it's actually harder for me to make art. My mind bombards me with thoughts that art making is pointless and self-indulgent and does very little to improve this brutal world. 

After processing some of those heavy emotions I could silence some of that negativity and focus on creating again. I like how these little sketches featuring sunlight through green leaves turned out. I would like to make a larger version to go on my wall as a reminder of how the green world calmly goes about growing a little at a time. 

Even small changes towards good make a difference.

>^-^<

Tina

p.s. Here is a link to the full article if you would like to read it.

Los Angeles Times - Coping with secondary trauma.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tina, I love the way you have focused on positivity. Adding in the pictures with green was perfect. Your art really does add value to the world. You’ve always been good to share light and love with your talent. I agree it is good if each of us can just “Be nice” like I saw on a license plate today on my way home. Love you!

Sherri Park said...

Thank you for your thoughts and the article from the LA Times on coping with "secondary and collective trauma." This is the first time I have heard of it but I have definitely experienced it. I fear more to come as the 2024 election approaches.