Bird & Sunrise photo

Bird & Sunrise photo
Because "someday" is today!

Tuesday, February 27, 2024

January Blooms

 

The creative process rarely goes in a direct line.

The creative process rarely goes in a direct line...


Bloom wherever you are planted.
In the spring of 2023, I started 3 mini-geraniums from seed. They bloomed so well all summer that I didn't have the heart to let them die in the fall, so I brought them inside to my studio.

 I was amply rewarded because when the snow was at it's deepest in January, they were blooming with all their hearts. 

Summer in Winter
The low winter sun shining through their petals was such a boost to my winter time blues, I wanted to make at least one painting of them, to try a capture some of that summertime beauty. This winter I was determined to make that wish happen.

 

The perfect side light highlights the star.
I set one of the potted geraniums down onto my office chair and was able to take this wonderful photograph. The way the sunlight made the petals and leaves glow was very inspiring to me.

Practice makes progress.

Several small practice attempts in my sketchbook this year led to the 6x8 inch painting on the right, but unfortunately, I didn't feel like I came close to expressing what I was after, I know I've missed something when the photograph is better than the painting!

 

When one stands out from all the others.
 I went back and studied more of my original photos from 2023 of the flowers against the snow and tried again.

All that vivid pink against the snow makes my heart glow..

 This painting is much, much closer to the feeling I was hoping to express, so it was definitely worth trying again. I think there may be an even better painting waiting to come into existence, but I won't know until I give it another try. It's a zig-zag journey from one painting experiment to another.

Happy creating!


>^-^< Tina

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I love this so much Tina! My mom always had geraniums on our front porch. ❤️ Danna

Anonymous said...

These geraniums are beautiful and your efforts to capture their beauty with the highlights very inspiring. Keep up the great work - you are so talented. 💕