Bird & Sunrise photo

Bird & Sunrise photo
Because "someday" is today!

Monday, January 16, 2012

Swans Revisited

7" x 5" oil on gessobord, ©2011 Tina M Welter
"Duet" 7" x 5" oil on gessobord, ©2011  
When I wrote about trying to find my "style" , I had a success doing an under-painting for the painting I called "Duo".  I hesitated doing the final colors because the water in the photo I took was so muddy and dull looking. I didn't know how I could make it look attractive.

Finally, I just started with the swans because I could just see what colors they needed. Usually in oil paintings, you start with the background first so that the foreground looks like it is over the background, but I did it backwards.

The funny thing is that once I had the swans finished, I could tell what colors I needed to mix for the water. It was a funny, muddy color, but with the right highlights and shadows I think it worked really well and I am very happy with this painting. I think it would make a lovely greeting card. I am renaming it "Duet".

No comments: