Bird & Sunrise photo

Bird & Sunrise photo
Because "someday" is today!

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Focus

Canals at Schloss Nymphenburg with all the ducks.
When we had a chance to visit the grounds of Schloss Nymphenburg this fall, I took several pictures of the ducks in the canals. The water was lower for the fall season and the reflections of the trees along the canals in the water was as interesting to me as the ducks.

It was a bit of a challenge to paint, since there was so much detail in the water, and I still wanted to be able to see the duck. I finished it, but I was not happy with the balance between the duck and the tree reflections. I let it sit, then worked on it again two weeks later.

"Ripples With Duck" 5" x 7" oil on gessobord, © 2012 Tina M Welter
"Ripples With Duck" Detail  5" x 7" oil on gessobord, © 2012
 When I took photos of the finished painting, I thought the close-up detail was better because it focused only on the duck. After letting the painting sit where I can just see it as is, I have gone back to liking the duck a little bit lost in the tree reflections.
"Ripples With Duck" 5" x 7" oil on gessobord, © 2012 Tina M Welter
"Ripples With Duck" 5" x 7" oil on gessobord, © 2012
 It is a question of focus, and that is something I have to ask myself when I am choosing what to paint. Am I communicating what I intend to say? The painting is split between the tree reflections and the duck because I liked them both equally. I suppose in that respect, it is a success. I probably should have chosen one or the other, but I am leaving it as it is for now.

No comments: