Bird & Sunrise photo

Bird & Sunrise photo
Because "someday" is today!

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Under the Surface

5"x 7" oil on "Gessobord", copyright 2012 Tina M. Welter
"Island of Calm" 5"x 7" oil on "Gessobord" c. 2012 TMW

Is anyone getting tired of paintings of swans....?  I have found out that doing a series can lead to some feelings of boredom, but I am determined to finish what I started.  The good part about repetition is that I get to try different techniques to solve the same problem.

I like this painting because it illustrates that wonderful illusion of "making it look easy", when all sorts of work and paddling is going on under the surface.  Swans are masters of this.

Claude Monet, 1874
"Bridge at Argenteuil"  Claude Monet, 1874

 I hope someday my paintings will reach that place where they look effortless.  I saw a boat in Claude Monet's "Bridge at Argenteuil" 1874, that was composed of three lovely brush strokes.  I can only imagine all the practice that led to that moment.  Meanwhile I will keep splashing away until I get there.

2 comments:

dawn chandler - new mexico artist said...

Wow. Look at these last two compared with your first couple -- Quite a difference... I'd say your commitment to a series is paying off!

The Artist's Life Experiment said...

Another point in favor for repetition!